Sunday, April 12, 2009

VKSP #17: Guten Rutsch 2006/01/01

"Have a great New Year" is expressed in German (roughly) as "Guten Rutsch" which literally means good slide or skid. This is an accurate description of many New Year's celebratory activities for the typical 20-something Berliner.

Mine was no exception. I woke up in bed today to the roar of Hangoversaurus Rex, mourning the mysterious disappearance of my favorite sweater...as well as the apparent and equally mysterious disappearance of about three hours of the previous night. (Abe filled me in on the details. Apparently I sang. A lot.)

The one thing I do remember, however, is one tiny two word phrase...the only phrase I know in Norwegian...and my epic several-hour struggle not to shout that very phrase at the top of my lungs in polite company.

Den Drittsek. It means "you sack of shit".

We were at a New Year's dinner at the home of a Norwegian, attended by no less than seven more Norwegians. Friendly. Engaged. Charming. Alarmingly adept at foreign languages, including English.

I wish I'd learned the Norwegian translation of "lovely day, today" or "my stars this is some tasty paella" or even "my balls are often itchy". Why "you sack of shit"? It was the only thing...everything I could think to want to say.

"Lydia, how are things at the opera?" Don't say Den Drittsek.

"Hey, do you and Abe want to check out this Bruce LaBruce party later on?" Don't say it.

"Can you pass me some rolls"....Oh lord, please don't say it...

As the night wore on and on and I remember less and less, who knows just how far my lack of tact actually took me.

Only Abe knows for sure, and he's not telling.

Happy 2006.

No comments: